10 Tips for taking the perfect company portraits with a phone
There are many reasons you may need to take photo’s of the employee’s in your company – this might be for ID cards or such things as HR and Payroll systems and as not many people have professional DSLR’s to hand, I thought I’d set out a few tips on how to do this on your Phone…..
1. Pick the best Camera – Everyone has a smart phone nowadays, so if someone has the latest iPhone 6 and another person has the 4s, use the iPhone 6 as this features a better camera.
2. Pick the Location – Ideally you need somewhere with a plain background such as a white washed wall – anything with a busy background will take away the focus from your subject.
3. Lets get natural light – Internal lighting is not good for photographs – you ideally want to be somewhere with natural lighting, you could look at somewhere outdoors (although you don’t want bright sun beaming on your subjects) or somewhere inside with plenty of windows. … A quick tip, if you have more light coming in from one side – hold up a piece of white card the other side of the subject, this will help bounce back the lighting to reduce harsh shadows.
4. Be eye level with your subject – If you’re 5ft tall and your subject is 6ft 5, you’d be better getting someone taller to take the shot – or at least make yourself the same height by using a stool/chair
5. The phone is pretty good for auto focus – tap the area you wish to focus into (Subject’s eye’s) and you can even adjust the brightness at the same time if required.
6. Don’t worry about getting the perfect crop – you can always crop this later if required and standard program such as MS Paint can take care of this.
7. Don’t Zoom – That’s right, you’ll loose quality on smart phone camera’s, just move closer.
8. For some people smiling posed is hard task, so have your phone on silent, make sure your subjects are relaxed, make some general conversation and try to catch a natural shot rather than posing you subject.
9. Take more than 1 shot – its better to have a good 10 photo’s of each subject, you can pick the best one’s later.
10. You can ignore everything I just said… If you wanted.. – that’s right.. They’re no rules in photography, if you get a good photo a different way, then great, but hopefully this has helped.
Stay ahead with HR
Get free HR insights, expert tips and exclusive interviews, and start making more impact at work
HR Software Optimised for Beaches or Sofas
What would you do with the unrestricted freedom to work from anywhere? Would you stay in the office, work from your sofa or kick back and work from the comfort of sandy paradise? This 1min video is all about HR software optimised for beaches and sofas. Enjoy!
Will Your HR Software Survive the Mobile Revolution
Why HR Super Heroes Need ‘Responsive Design’
Embark on your most ambitious HR journey to date
This short video takes you through the different ways people helps you work smarter, challenge your abilities and get yourself noticed – all using one simple, stunning cloud-based platform.
What is the Bradford Factor?
Ever wondered how the Bradford Factor formula calculates your employees' absence scores? Check out this graphic to have the Bradford Factor calculation explained to you clearly.
So… Who Exactly ARE You?!
If you like the sound of People, but you’re not familiar with the name… then it’s only natural that you’ll have questions.
6 Reasons People’s HR System Delivers Something Different
So many HR systems claim to be different. But when you actually look at what they offer, it’s easy to see that they’re all selling the same old thing...
See People HR in action
View our short video demo
Get started absolutely free
No credit card required