10 Ways to Motivate Your Staff
Trying to work out how to motivate staff who’ve gone past the ‘honeymoon’ period of trying to impress their new employer? Here are 10 great staff motivation techniques that actually work!
1. Take interest in your people’s jobs. Everybody wants to feel a sense of purpose. Taking an interest in what each person is doing for the company shows that they are important, and that their job really matters.
2. Set goals. When we have something to work towards, we tend to work harder and more productively. Provide clear goals for each person to aim for, and then leave them to it – the results might surprise you.
3. Be an inspiration. The greatest leaders in history were all able to inspire their people by painting an exciting vision of the future – you should do the same, by sharing your vision of your company’s future with the rest of the team.
4. Leave people to do their jobs. One of the biggest motivation crushers is micromanagement. People do NOT want to be under constant surveillance, and they will normally work far better if you give them breathing space to express themselves and develop their own style of working.
5. Celebrate mistakes! OK, you shouldn’t actually throw a party whenever anybody does something wrong… but if your people are pushing themselves to really achieve something worthwhile, and it goes wrong, you shouldn’t punish them – you should praise them for putting in the effort and using their creativity, innovation and initiative.
6. Say ‘Thanks’. The easiest but most effective way to motivate your staff is to simply give them credit where credit is due. If people think their hard work is going unnoticed, they’ll most likely stop working hard… but if they can see it’s being seen and appreciated, they’ll double their efforts.
7. Give constructive feedback. You should combine your thanks and positive feedback with constructive feedback that helps your people improve. This does not mean insulting their work – it means give them genuine, helpful advice on how they could produce even better results.
8. Involve them in business performance updates. Tell your staff how your company is performing overall, and let them feel a sense of shared ownership and responsibility.
9. Involve them in business rewards! You can’t make your staff feel responsible for performance without giving them their fair share of rewards – give them a share of profits, and they will be much more likely to perform as though they owned the business (because in a sense, they will own it).
10. Don’t overwork your staff. If you want your people to burn the candle at both ends every day of the week, you’ll not get very far in the long-term – consistently forcing 40+ hour weeks will eventually lead to a drop in productivity and an increase in absences.
Stay ahead with HR
Get free HR insights, expert tips and exclusive interviews, and start making more impact at work
HR Software Optimised for Beaches or Sofas
What would you do with the unrestricted freedom to work from anywhere? Would you stay in the office, work from your sofa or kick back and work from the comfort of sandy paradise? This 1min video is all about HR software optimised for beaches and sofas. Enjoy!
Will Your HR Software Survive the Mobile Revolution
Why HR Super Heroes Need ‘Responsive Design’
Embark on your most ambitious HR journey to date
This short video takes you through the different ways people helps you work smarter, challenge your abilities and get yourself noticed – all using one simple, stunning cloud-based platform.
What is the Bradford Factor?
Ever wondered how the Bradford Factor formula calculates your employees' absence scores? Check out this graphic to have the Bradford Factor calculation explained to you clearly.
So… Who Exactly ARE You?!
If you like the sound of People, but you’re not familiar with the name… then it’s only natural that you’ll have questions.
6 Reasons People’s HR System Delivers Something Different
So many HR systems claim to be different. But when you actually look at what they offer, it’s easy to see that they’re all selling the same old thing...
See People HR in action
View our short video demo
Get started absolutely free
No credit card required