Five Fun Facts About International Women’s Day
On Sunday, it was Mother’s Day here in the UK. How fitting then that just two days later, we are widening the net of our celebrations and, rather than celebrating just one woman in our lives, we are celebrating the achievements of all women throughout history, with International Women’s Day.
The 8th March is a day for celebrating the achievements of women all over the world, and so for those of you honouring this tradition, here are 5 fun facts about International Women’s Day that you might be interested to know.
1. International Women’s Day has been celebrated for 105 years! Yes, the very first time International Women’s Day was celebrated was in 1911. While not all countries have participated in celebrations since the day was first officially created, a growing number have been getting involved over the decades.
2. It wasn’t always celebrated on the 8th March. In fact, the very first International Women’s Day was actually celebrated on the 19th March 1911!
3. The theme for 2016 is #PledgeForParity. Most years have a common theme to give a bit of direction to celebrations. This year it is all about reducing the parity gap between men and women. According to the official International Women’s Day website, recent predictions suggest that the gender gap won’t close completely until 2133! Why not join the Pledge For Parity and bring that date a little closer to where we are today?
4. Some countries celebrate it all month long! Maybe you remember our blog post about Women’s History Month?
5. It’s celebrated in 27 different countries. Check this Tweet for more facts about International Women’s Day.
Will you be celebrating International Women’s Day today? If so, how?
Stay ahead with HR
Get free HR insights, expert tips and exclusive interviews, and start making more impact at work
HR Software Optimised for Beaches or Sofas
What would you do with the unrestricted freedom to work from anywhere? Would you stay in the office, work from your sofa or kick back and work from the comfort of sandy paradise? This 1min video is all about HR software optimised for beaches and sofas. Enjoy!
Will Your HR Software Survive the Mobile Revolution
Why HR Super Heroes Need ‘Responsive Design’
Embark on your most ambitious HR journey to date
This short video takes you through the different ways people helps you work smarter, challenge your abilities and get yourself noticed – all using one simple, stunning cloud-based platform.
What is the Bradford Factor?
Ever wondered how the Bradford Factor formula calculates your employees' absence scores? Check out this graphic to have the Bradford Factor calculation explained to you clearly.
So… Who Exactly ARE You?!
If you like the sound of People, but you’re not familiar with the name… then it’s only natural that you’ll have questions.
6 Reasons People’s HR System Delivers Something Different
So many HR systems claim to be different. But when you actually look at what they offer, it’s easy to see that they’re all selling the same old thing...
See People HR in action
View our short video demo
Get started absolutely free
No credit card required